What is Windows 11?
Windows 11 is a major upcoming version of the Windows NT operating system developed by Microsoft, which was announced on June 24, 2021. Windows 11 is the successor to the Windows 10 version, released in 2015. Windows 11 will be available as a free update for the compatible Windows 10 devices through Windows update.
In 2015 one of the Microsoft stated that Windows 10 would be the “last version of windows”.Which was confirmed as “reflective” of its view by Microsoft. The operating system is considered to be a service, with new updates and inventions to be released over time.
- New Features :
The first major Windows release since 2015, builds upon its predecessor by improving the user interface to follow Microsoft’s new Fluent Re-Designed specifications. The redesign of the windows is focused on ease of use and flexibility including new productivity, social features, updates to security, accessibility and addressing some of the deficiencies of Windows 10.
The unified storefront for the apps and other content served by the MicrosoftStore is also redesigned in Windows 11.
Microsoft now allows various Progressive Web applications and other packaging technologies in the Microsoft store including the standard Universal Windows Platform Apps.
- 7 New Features in Windows 11:
- New Interface: Windows 11 features a new design with corners rounded, with a centred start menu and taskbar.
- Integrated Android apps: The Android apps for Windows 11 can be installable from the new Microsoft store via the Amazon Appstore.
- Widgets: The Widgets can be directly accessed from the Taskbar and can be personalized.
- Microsoft teams integration: Teams will be integrated directly in Windows 11 Taskbar to access it easily.
- Xbox Tech: Windows 11 finds new features in the Xbox to improve gaming on the PC.
- Virtual support desktop: Windows 11 will let you set up the virtual support desktop similar to MAC OS, for multiple desktops.
- Better multitasking: The new OS includes features called Snap Groups or Snap Layouts which is a collection of apps that allows easier task switching.
- Windows subsystem for Android:
By using the new Windows Subsystem for Android(WSA) and the Android Open Source Project(AOSP), Windows 11 allows users to install and run Android apps on their devices.
This feature will require a Microsoft account and an Amazon account installed from Windows
Amazon Appstore. These apps can be obtained within the Microsoft Store through the Amazon Appstore.
- System Requirements:
The system requirements of Windows 11 will differ significantly from Windows 10.
Windows 11 only supports 64-bit systems and those using an X86-64 or ARM64 processor. The minimum RAM and storage requirements were also increased; Windows11 now supports at least 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage.
As of June 2021, only Intel Core 8th generation and later processors are officially supported. Before the general availability, Microsoft plans to reevaluate the final system.
The legacy of the basic input/output system (BIOS) is no longer supported, a unified extensible firmware interface(UEFI) system with a secure boot and a TPM security coprocessor is now required. As many motherboards do not have TPM support, they require a compatible TPM module to be physically installed onto the motherboard, or have a built-in TPM on the CPU firmware or hardware level which is disabled by default.
This requires changing settings in the computer’s UEFI to enable.
Despite all the official requirements, pre-release versions of Windows 11 can be installed on systems with the legacy BIOS without a secure boot or TPM 2.0 by editing the installation media.
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is Windows 11?
Windows 11 is the next major version of Windows 10 and an upgrade, not just a feature update.
- Will Windows 11 be free?
Microsoft says that Windows 11 will be a free upgrade to Windows 10.
- Will there be different versions in Windows 11?
Microsoft refers to Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 pro as different editions of Windows 10 and it’s likely that Windows 11 and Windows 11 pro too.
Microsoft will also release a Windows 11 version as Windows 10 S, which is called the Windows 11 home in S Mode.
- What are System Requirements for Windows 11?
Microsoft periodically updates the minimum hardware requirements for its operating system. Windows 11’s hardware requirements, you’ll need at least 8th-gen Intel Core CPU or Ryzen and older processors and it also requires the Trusted Platform Module(TPM), TPM 2.0 module integrated into the CPU.
- What does Windows 11 mean to Windows 10?
Microsoft has always said that it plans to end support for Windows 10 in 2025.
If Microsoft sees Windows 11 as a replacement for Windows 10, then you will upgrade to Windows 11 automatically, whenever Microsoft is ready to deploy the new operating system.